Subject: Re: [Leica] R6.2
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:15:43 -0500

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, luokbh@basf-china.com.cn wrote:

>Is the R6.2 the best mechanical SLR ever made? I want a second hand
>machanical SLR, any information would be appreciated!

Best for what purpose?  For features like interchangable viewscreen, winder
or motor, TTL flash, and the ability to use any of the superb Leica-R
lenses then yes, absolutely, the R6.2 is best.  If you're only interested
in recent-production cameras, then yes again the R6.2 is best.

For tough-as-nails, run-it-through-the-mud-and-grime reliabilty and
ubiquitous and rea$onable repair the old Nikon F (without meter) is hard to
beat.  For a vast array of lenses from the cheapest and raunchiest to some
of the best available anywhere but ya gotta have a meter, the Nikon FM2 has
its fans.  The older mechanical FD-mount Canons are good too.

For a sublime sensual experience combined with a brilliant, contrasty
viewfinder, indestructible construction and smooth-as-silk
continuously-variable shutter, one of the Leicaflexes (standard, SL or SL2)
is the choice.

My favorite mechanical SLR?  The Leicaflex SL.  Its disadvantages: it can't
use some of the newest Leica-R lenses, and some repairs can be quite
expensive.  It also lacks the winders/motors, flash convenience and
interchangable viewscreens that some people want (I don't).  I like the
Leicaflex's shutter, viewfinder, handling and "soul" better than the R4-R7
bodies; either Nikon is crude in comparison (I used F's for 10 years), and
my hands are cramped on the FM2.  I have no experience with Canon SLRs.

I hope this helps.  IMHO the choice is between the Leicaflex SL and the
R6.2.

Doug Herr
Sacramento