Subject: Re: [Leica] R6.2
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 18:45:19 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> >luokbh@basf-china.com.cn wrote:
> >>
> >> Is the R6.2 the best mechanical SLR ever made? I want a second hand
> >> machanical SLR, any information would be appreciated!
>
> "Best" is a meaningless term, as it begs for a referent.
>
> Perhaps the best-engineered and best-constructed miniature-format SLR of
> all time, though, was the first "Bulls-Eye" Contarex.  This is a most
> wonderful camera in every regard.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

I owned this camera from '70 to '96 and made the mistake of tading it in
when it seemed difficult or impossible to have the shutter fixed. I had
the f2 50 macro? lens only for it. One repair guy I brought it to once
said it was the most "over machined" camera ever made. My father had
this camera with him on several trips to Europe in the sixties
particularly Moscow where he shot slidetrays full of Kodachrome 11.
Slides that remain awesome today.
Someday I will rebuy back that camera for ten times what I sold it for
and get a set of lenses for it. It has a list of interesting quirks but
as it was said here they didn't let weight considerations get in the way
of quality.
I also at one point a few years back was under the impression that his
was Ansel's sole 35 but this has been recently been discussed to the
contrary here.
Mark Rabiner