Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:fuji film pushed
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 13:36:13 -0800

Andre Jean Quintal wrote:

> Allo Jeff,
>
>         You owe it to yourself to try out
>         Kodak PMZ 1000 VS Fuji CZ Super G 800.
>
>         Which you'll prefer depends,
>         but one will solve your low light or fast action
>         color print film needs.
>
>         I realize you have, to date, put the emphasis
>         on speed boosting flexibility,
>         these, above, "seem" to put emphasis on image quality,
>         and have made me forego the ISO 200-400
>         speed range altogether, my "attitude" being
>         that there either is enough light for ISO 100-160
>         ( or 50, 64) or there isn't, since the first day I shot
>         Kodak PMZ 1000 in a poorly lit church, at a wedding,
>         no flash, goes without saying, going for f/5.6,
>         snip Best to you !
>
>         Andre Jean Quintal
> snip !
>              This has to be more than marketing hype.
>              PJ800 is an oddity, considering there's Kodak
>              PMZ 1000 and Royal Gold 1000 on the shelves.
>        snip
snip

I am on your wavelength with most of what you've said here. Yes I think
its compatible for is to be shooting fuji films with our fuji cameras. :)
Mainly and seriously your point of the 400 twilight "zone" is also
hitting me. Kodak and Fuji seem to be standardizing @ 800 to 1000 with
their pro wedding films; a business I am thank god no longer in. I
remember when they moved up from 125 to 160! And I think I was around
when the jump was made from 80 or 100 to 125.
On the black and white side the Delta 3200 could turn out I hope to be a
revelation, if not the Fuji Neopan 1600 is a true stop faster and
cheaper than Tri X while the 400 is sharp and cheap minus the Tri x
mystique (coming in ten roll cellophane pro packs that I can afford more
often than the Big Expensive Trix pro packs).
I have a roll of the Delta 3200 at 1600 in my Rolleiflex TLR which I
took on a ten mile Art Gallery Hike this Thursday and also in my Rollei
35 which is always on my belt unless I have my Leica with me which is
often but sometimes I forget the Rollei is on my belt and have two
cameras. I should post this with them. Let them try to read it. If this
Delta works out with my Rollei's I'll start running it through the Leica
and maybe end up using the delta 100 with the studio strobes and my Leica.
If you ever have the misfortune to be hired to shoot a wedding (you
might have the better fortune to get to shoot it in black and white) you
will experience what its like to shoot one, but also have to contend
with the friends of the Bride and Groom who bring their expensive
cameras and so on. One would get the impression that other than xmas
present opening morning these are the only times these cameras see the
light of day. (am not overly referring to you so please don't take more
personlly than it is intended)
Weddings become media events with everyone trying to figure out their
cameras instead of dancing and talking. My point being, as a
professional courtesy and otherwise, when it comes to weddings, I leave
my camera at home and let the unfortunate pro do their job. I'm glad its
not me. I let the family ruin their own wedding.
Mark Rabiner