Subject: Re: [Leica] The digital darkroom
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 20:35:30 -0400

Steve:

The digital printers say their process is very long lasting.  Create you
picture, store the file to a CD rom and then when your electonic ouput that
you printed fades in a year, pop the Cd in your computer and make another
matching print.  The same long term life can be said of negatives and
Kodachromes.  There is probably a better chance of reprinting a negative or
slide fifty years from now than there is finding a device to read a cd
fifty years from now.

I on the other hand, have just orderd an Epson stylus Ex that will do 11X14
prints.  The Nova Scotia Photoguild is just starting to allow  electronic
prints into competition and a member just had on come back from an outside
compitiion with high marks.  In this case, as long as the prints last a few
months to see their way through the competitions, the fading is not an
issue.  I still wait the day for the film recorder that will put the
photoshop edited slides back onto slides with a high quality.

Regards,

Robert