Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] The digital darkroom
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:00:48 -0600

 Sunday, February 07, 1999, B. wrote:
> The point isn't that Smith isn't great, but that the creative photographic
> process often involves darkroom "magic" that allows the photographer to
> produce a picture of what he saw, as opposed what was technically "there."

BD,

Very  right.  When I was starting out in PJ some 15-20 years or so ago
it was "vogue" to completely burn the backgrounds of your photos black
so  that  the  subject really popped from the image. I knew many great
B&W  printers  and it was their ability in the darkrooms that won them
honor after honor in the NPPA contests in region 6.

I  interviewed  at  a newspaper where one of the R6 top photogs worked
and  he  said  something to the effect "Anyone can get it on film, you
have to be able to get it on the paper."

I  learned  all  the  dirty  tricks, super hot developer, fera-cyanide
bleach,  massive  amounts  of  dodging, burning, selective fixing, and
others I have forgotten.

The  old  4 corner burn was standard everywhere I ever worked, we even
did  it  printing  color.  I  still  do  it as I like the look.  Helps
separate the subject form the background.

Photographic  reality is a tenuous thing. What moment the photographer
decides  to  show...how  he used the light, the expression he chose to
freeze,  and  the  mood  he  creates in the darkroom by making a print
heavy  and  oppressive  or light and cheerful all create the "reality"
Just  with  digital  it is soooo much easier to alter the reality even
further than it was in the old days.

Best regards,
 Harrison                          mailto:mcclary@iname.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto