Subject: [Leica] How does a Leica M6 age? - badly!
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:06:30 -0000

Back in mid-January Alex Brattel asked "How does a Leica M6 age?"

Ken Wilcox replied:
>My 90s vintage M6 has failed twice ... The first was the film counter
that died after about 3 years of light use. Last
year the meter circuit also failed and was replaced. (None of my other
M bodies have ever failed)

None of my late 1950s M cameras have failed, although one needs a CLA
to fix its slow speeds. The meter on my 1988 M6 needed replacement,
and within weeks of its return from Leica the covering began peeling
away from the body.  It was returned to Leica to have the covering
re-attached and a minor problem with the frame selector lever fixed,
and came back last Friday with the covering pretty well as loose as
before it went off for repair, and the frame selector still not right.

So based on my sample of only one M6, my response must be "How does a
Leica M6 age? - badly!"

In the meantime, maybe Leica ought to find out what sort of glue Zeiss
Ikon used to fix to covering to their 1950s-era folding cameras. The
skin of what was my first "real" camera is still firmly attached to
the body, which is more than can be said for the Vulcanite on my M2s
and the covering on my black SL2.

Regards,

Doug Richardson