Subject: [Leica] Winder Woes part .....
From: "David Strang" <dstrang@up.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:56:45 -0500

Well, things are looking a little better. I called Jim Kuehl this morning
and he promised to send out a new winder out of the latest batch of winders.
I should see it sometime Wednesday. Ernie at Leica wanted me to send in both
the camera and winder, but with at least a three week turn around, I'll have
to try the second winder first. If it fails, everything goes to Leica. Ernie
did mention a problem in the winder with a switch that doesn't make proper
contact.

Sure sounds like my problem, the camera will not "come alive" until the
filmback is opened! It then works fine until I turn the camera OFF. It
autoloads fine, advances fine, and rewinds fine. I just can't turn the
camera OFF with film in the camera.

I must say this: the motor winder fits extremely well onto the R8 body. It
adds a little more ergonomic feel to an already superb design. The added
weight is almost minimal. My Canon F-1n and EOS-1 systems grow markedly with
the added motor/battery packs. But they also greatly extend the usability of
the respective camera.

BTW, hats off the Jim Kuehl on some mighty good service!

Dave
dstrang@up.net