Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 woes.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:34:52 -0800

John Hudson wrote:

<<<<< Maybe they were better made in the olden days! What I hear is that
perhaps the R8 should be avoided.>>>>>

Hi John,

Not on your life, the R8 is a very fine camera and the best R out of the
stable, bar the comments on the LUG, it's an excellent slr.

One must keep a perspective on the world numbers of R8 owners compared to
LUG owners, as the communication medium we work with can be deceiving in
giving an over blown perspective of situations.

The negative appearance on the LUG sometimes gives a perspective that the
R8 is going to hell in a handbasket, but in reality that isn't the case at
all. Sure there are folks who have had problems, absolutely maddening at
times. However, it's approximately 700 LUG owners which about 1/4 are R8
owners, if the number is that high.  If one believed that the LUG was
indicative of an over all world situation Leica might as well close the
shop!:)

It's the medium of communication that makes it look worse than it is.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant