Subject: Re: [Leica] R4--A bad Camera?(long)
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:47:44 EST

Hi Peter,

Have you tried changing the viewing screen.  The later screens for the R5 - R7
are much brighter than the original R4 screens, and can be used in the R4.
You might also try the all micro prism screen as I find the split image
distracting.
As far as R4 reliability there are many good ones out there.
Try to get one over 1.6 million.  Make sure the camera is working properly in
all modes.  Make sure the exposure times match ambient light levels (i.e., is
a 20 sec. exposure time at f/2 reasonable in bright sunlight at ISO 100?) in
all exposure modes.  Are the foam light seals still good around the back door
and film reminder window?
Most R4's I've seen are good, reliable cameras.  The problem lies in getting
them repaired.  Even the most minor meter or mechanical repairs seem to run at
least $300 from Leica.  The reason for this is that anytime the camera needs
to be worked on, it requires a total teardown of the camera.  This was the
"secret" improvement of the R5 and later cameras.  They were redesigned to
allow easier access for repair without having to tear the whole camera down
for repair.  The other reason for high repair prices is that most independents
won't even work on them.
As long as your R4 is working, things are great.  But given a choice between
an R4 and R5 or later R cameras, the R4 will always be the last choice unless
the R4 is the only one you can afford.
BTW, before the R8 problems, the R4 was known as the camera that almost sank
the company.  The R8's problems are nothing compared with the early R4's.
Rather than deal with repairs on early R4's, Leica USA was offering upgrades
to R7's to R4 customers with a liberal trade in allowance on the old R4's.
IMO, the R7 is probably the most reliable R camera Leica ever made and I plan
on keeping mine and my SL's for a long time!

Bill Rosauer