Subject: [Leica] Re: Leicaflex Price Drops
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:06:37 -0800

Dan

You wrote:

>>I noticed a fair number of Leicaflex SL's for sale at cheapo prices.  These
were
decent user cameras for 200-250.  I asked why they seemed so cheap and
the dealer said the market has dropped out on these cameras. <<

I think the demand for older manual focus camera equipment is really waning. I
paid $200 for my SL last summer. It's in very good condition, save a number
engraved on the bottom. It's a neat old camera, but I use it because it's the
only R body I have right now. I still have a handful of mercury batteries (I
used to leave my Hasselblad meter prism on all the time, so I stocked up). But
the SL meter is only accurate enough for neg film, and I think even those days
are numbered. I'll use it as long as the shutter is accurate. Still, I'd much
prefer an R6.2, R7 or R8, even given the cost difference. I don't own a newer
body because I haven't yet decided to move to Leica R.

I had a recent conversation with a local dealer about used equipment. He said
that used Leica R -- even some of the more recent stuff -- can sit on the shelf
for a long time. Same goes for Nikon F2s and Canon F1s. But put out an N90s or
A2e and it's gone in a heartbeat. You don't need to lower the price to move it.

Dave