Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M and the sun
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:06:52 -0800

>In five years of M shooting I'm not clear on this:
>I'm hyperaware of the sun shining into the lens because I'm not crazy
>about the idea of burning a hole in my shutter curtain.

>How paranoid am I being? If you got the sun in a shot would you burn out
>your meter and or shutter curtain in the process?

I personally have burned a hole in a Leica shutter (a CL with a 90mm Elmar
C). I wouldn't think that an M6 meter is in any danger, although the meter
on a CL or M5 might be vulnerable to damage. One way to eliminate the risk
of burning a hole in your shutter is to get in the habit of setting your
aperture to the smallest f stop when the camera is not in use and doesn't
have the lens cap on. I've now trained myself to do this.