Subject: RE: [Leica] can't beat the minilab
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:36:37 -0500

Alan - Well....We will have to agree to disagree, which is the nature of the
LUG - But...1 - I would guess my quality standards for a project of this
nature are lower than yours; 2 - The day I get dust free, perfectly color
balanced - particularly when taken indoors with a mix of natural and
artificial light - prints from any mini-lab is the day I'll worry about
whether the color balance is "perfect" on the digital prints. But removing
dust, etc., has turned out to be one of the easiest, best features of the
digital process.

Bottom line - I won't argue with anyone that if you seek print perfection, a
wet darkroom - not mini-lab - and a skilled printer are definitely the way
to go. But I am convinced that for those of us with neither the skill, nor
the money to buy it on any but an occasional basis, a total investment of
about $650 -including software - provides a digital home "darkroom" that can
sit in a den or home office, be used during work downtime - or any other
time - without all kinds of preparation, and provide extremely pleasing
results that will blow the socks off the vast majority of non-photographers
and casual photographers...

Cheers....and congrats on having found a really good mini-lab! :-) B. D.