Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicas made in England??? and a WTB!!
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 16:14:10 +0000

Jim Bauman wrote:

>But seriously, think of the advantages if Leicas and Porsches were
>manufactured in the UK now.

They may not be now, but a company called Reid made quite a respectable
rip-off of a screwmount Leica back in the 1950s - I think it was modelled
on the IIIf. Lenses were made by another Brit firm, Taylor Hobson. Both of
these firms are long since defunct, but the camera is, I gather, quite
collectable.

Also, don't forget that Volkswagen production in Germany was managed by the
British Army, no less, immediately after the war. Not a Porsche, but
close... :-)

Slan

Alex

(The Irish Brit)