Subject: Re: [Leica] new in group m2/m3
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:10:06 +0000

>    Hi, my name is Carlos Blanco, I'm from Argentina  and I'm new in the
>group. I have recently bought a M2 with a Summicron 50  1:2 all for $1300.
>In Argentina Leica prices tend to vary a lot: you can get a  35mm for the
>M3 with the viewfinder adapter for $350 but a brand new M6 is $3000  and a
>new summicron M $1000.   I would like to know if I have done a (rather)
>good purchase. I decided for the M2 because:     1- someday I'd like to buy
>a  35mm (H Cartier Bresson used to say that he never used the 135mm)     2-
>it was newer than the  M3     3- automatic film counter and  self timer
>were not important for me.   I imagine that the discussion M2 vs M3 is as
>old  as the cameras themselves but nontheless I'd like to receive your
>opinions about  it. 1- is it true that the ideal body for the 50mm  is the
>M3 due to the viewfinder 2- I know that the M2 was intended to be an
>economic version of the M3 but, that affected also the quality of the body
>or  only the elements that were not included, etc   thank you and forgive
>me for my indian-like  english

Carlos

Welcome to the LUG.

I think you have made a good purchase.  You will enjoy using the M2 and
50/2 lens.  I have an M2 and M3 and I enjoy using both. I see no problems
with the quality of my M2 camera. If you are going to get a 35mm lens one
day, the M2 is a good choice.

Many people prefer the larger magnification of the M3 and this is an
advantage when you use 90 and 135 mm lenses.  Otherwise I think any VF is
good enough for the 50mm lens.

Dan K.