Subject: Re: [Leica] here's a concept, Summilux vs. Noctilux
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 08:16:24 -0600

>have) Thanks for the unintentional reinforcement. I am always glad when
>my ideas prove out in the real world.

Mark,

I started this thread, and my conclusion is nowhere near that. The 50
Noctilux will give one an edge, because the comparison of the 35 and 50 is
useful for raw performance of the lens, maybe, but the difference in 35 and
50mm focal lengths mean that if one is a good photographer, they would not
use them for the same subject. Sometimes 50mm is just a better choice. And
so in those situations, the Noctilux is going to be the obvious choice. Any
advantage that the 35 might give in hand holdable speeds and depth of field
will be negated by the need to crop the picture.

So I disagree that the Noctilux doesn't have a place in the Leica spectrum
that is irreplaceable. After using both, I can only say I want a Noctilux
more than ever.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Cooperation can only be reached if we work together.