Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Flash: thank you Nikon !
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:12:44 -0800

- --------------FE670A28F0CDCAD8F9E08E4C

> Lucien wrote:
> > When you fire the camera + flash, the SU-4 will detect the flash
> > and will start his own flash.
> > Then the Camera (via TTL) or the flash himself (if automatic)
> > will stop the flash.
> > It will be detected by the SU-4, which will stop his own
> > flash via the dedicated contacts.

Identical to the LiteLink, obviously a knock off on the originator.  I hope
it will work TTL with bounce flash.  The LiteLink only works with direct
from the camera strobe.  Otherwise the sync will trigger a full dump.
Aparently the new Canon 550 has built in ttl capabilities that will work
with reflected flash (say, one around the corner to light up another room in
background).  I believe it works on flash pulses.  The Metz ttl version
works on IR, I believe, but because of its pulse length cannot sync a faster
than 1/60 in TTL.  It is amazing how obscure is the marketing information on
these things.  I was at the Canon booth at NANPA and tried to get
information on the "Logic" of how the flashes think so I could figure out if
the method would work for how I want to shoot and could also predict what
would result.  Not a single rep could explain it, but rather referred me to
technical types in home office.  "Oh, gee, program automatic and you'll have
great snaps."

donal
- --
Donal Philby