Subject: Re: [Leica] here's a concept, Summilux vs. Noctilux
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:00:28 -0800

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> I have owned both and used both.  In November I took a trip to North
> Carolina on my motorcycle and took an M6 with these two lenses and a
> tele-elmarit.  I found the Noctilux was more useful because you could shoot
> at a higher shutter speed and get tightly framed shots. snip
> I have since sold the 35mm Summilux ASPH and replaced it with a Summicron
> ASPH.  I figured I didn't need the extra speed and bulk of the Summilux
> when I had a Noctilux.
>
> Regards,

When you pulled over in North Carolina to knock out of few shots was it
night? Often composing and setting up the shot with the Noct. did you
then run quickly and smoothly forward (I call it zooming) so you would
get the same shot? No?
Well I wouldn't either especially when there is a cliff at the edge of
the road which thier always is. I don't do it turns out much shooting at
night to my regret and I'm going to change, when I do I use my Gitzo
tripod which I love almost as much as my Leica itself. I'm fond of
closing down a little and getting foregrounds and backgrounds as well in
focus. My by far Focal length is  the 50, I have the 50 Summicron and
the 35 ASPH summicron.
To me fast lenses mean brighter, snappier in and out ground glasses. My
M6 doesn't have a ground glass so I can live without it and the bulk.
I think night shooting is a huge untapped well, I know its being done
but I just don't see it. Not having to lock up the mirror cause their
ain't none is a huge help. When I get into it my creative juices will go
bananas and I will sell Hasselblads for noctiluxes and but the other
luxe's I can do without. Something about the name "Summicron" makes me
feel all cuddly.
But the Noctilux has a distinctive fingerprint that I could get into.
Mark Rabiner