Subject: Re: [Leica] here's a concept, Summilux vs. Noctilux
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:13:44 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> >have) Thanks for the unintentional reinforcement. I am always glad when
> >my ideas prove out in the real world.
>
> Mark,
>
> I started this thread, and my conclusion is nowhere near that. The 50
> Noctilux will give one an edge, because the comparison of the 35 and 50 is
> useful for raw performance of the lens, maybe, but the difference in 35 and
> 50mm focal lengths mean that if one is a good photographer, they would not
> use them for the same subject. Sometimes 50mm is just a better choice. And
> so in those situations, the Noctilux is going to be the obvious choice. Any
> advantage that the 35 might give in hand holdable speeds and depth of field
> will be negated by the need to crop the picture.
>
> So I disagree that the Noctilux doesn't have a place in the Leica spectrum
> that is irreplaceable. After using both, I can only say I want a Noctilux
> more than ever.
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> Cooperation can only be reached if we work together.

It seems my reading comprehension ain't what it used to be if I flipped
the results of your post to play up the 35 unto if not over the Noct. I
did not think you were putting down the Noct. thought and either is that
my opinion. I just thought the 35 was at least as useful and that that
is what you were saying. Dyslexia strikes every 40 seconds. I love the
Noct and will someday own one, but getting in a little closer is often
not a problem and I think that is very much a Leica thing especially at
night. My favorite focal length is the fifty by far. They are like
extension cords you can never have too many of them as far as I am
concerned. Love them new collapseables.
Sorry if I thought we were agreeing if we were not but I still think we
agree on more than what would seem evident.
Mark Rabiner