Subject: [Leica] RE: RE: was:Summi vs. Nocti, now M6 user/collectible!
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:09:11 -700

On 14 Feb 99, Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

> If you split hairs I guess you are right.  What I mean is that they are
> sought out more by collectors than by users.  A new user will opt for an
> SLR with zoom, a collector will opt for the Leica.  SOmeone who has been
> in photography since 1940 will opt for a Leica, somone who is new to
> Photography will opt for a Nikon.  Nuff said....

God knows, Peter, splitting hairs is what I do best. In this case I
just do not agree with your conclusions that you state with such
authority and finality.

Though true that many in my age bracket are into Leica because
we were lusting after them for a long time and now, in our
dotage, we can afford a couple, it is also true that there is a
large element of Leica fanciers that are young and younger!

If you haven't, go to a LHSA function and look around at the
enthusiasts. I'm in the top 10 percent agewise. Most are
anywhere from a lot younger to someehat younger than I, and are
pursuing their Leica interests with a verve and excitement that
makes my 1950's interest in the M3's debut look mild by
comparison.

But like you said, 'nuff said. I'll agree to disagree.
- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     Thought for the day: