Subject: Re: [Leica] Do not like 75mm framelines
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:28:52 -0600 (CST)

God-don't modify a 75mm lens!!! for ANY reason!!!....besides,
you'd have to ADD to the tab, not subtract from it!!!

Unfortunately, the only camera that MAY accurately focus this
lens is the M6HM....the M3 ain't got no frame, the M4P/M6 .72
can't focus the damn thing reliably (the 90 f2 is REALLY stretching
it--it works MOST of the time if the body is in PERFECT adjustment..
>MAYBE< the HM can do it....I have neither body nor lens to try....

Here goes flame bait.....MOST of Erwin's admittedly superlative
testing is PHOTOGRAPHICALLY useless.....there's NO photographic
difference between ANY Leica lenses made in the last 30 years...
bear with me.....what I mean is on REAL film (>ISO100, preferably
400 for handheld work) at reasonable shutter speeds, HANDHELD,
there is no visible difference. Period.  It's like the folks that
can hear differences in line cords on audio amps...bullshit.

The MOST significant revelation Erwin has put forth to the Leica
photographers was his calculation of the max focal length/aperture
that the RFDRs >should< be able to focus....this offered scientific
proof of the accepted photographic wisdom for 40 years....longer
than 90mm/2.8 or faster, the SLR wins......The 75 1.4 HAS to be
worse than the 90 f2....in this regard....of course, anyone
photographing for years already knows that focusing ANY 135 lens,
at max aperture, on ANY M camera, at distances shorter than
30-40 ft. is a crap shoot...and the 90 f2 gets iffy under 10 ft.
Erwin's calculations (which I lost) confirm this empirical
knowledge.....not even Leica could have predicted a 75 1.4 on an
M2 equivalent RFDR in l999..... the M3, barely, IF the
infinity and near-focus compensation is PERFECTLY adjusted...
The fastest lenses reccomended for the "M2" (M6) RFDR were
the 50 1.5 and the 90 f2 (new the year of the M2s introduction....
Of course, the 35 f2, introduced the same year, was and is no
problem on any M, same with the 35 1.4, due to shorter FL.

I love fast lenses...I already have a new version 90 f2,
hope to upgrade my 50 to a 1.4 soon....but that's it for me....
I can't see a 75 1.4 that I can't focus at the distances I
like to shoot such a lens (< 10ft, at times)

Now how 'bout a new M6 1.2x - ? at the normal price?  for the
50/75/90/135 ?  now THERE's a second M6 body worth owning!!
Keep your M6/std for 28/35/50 !! how 'bout it?

Walt

On