Subject: [Leica] Re: e-bay
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:42:20 EST

Andrew Morang wrote:

> > Can any of you relate your experiences with e-bay?  I have seen what

> > appear to be some remarkable bargains listed.

as a reasonably new seller on e-bay i have to say it's great -- I've sold two
items fairly quickly and for more than I could ever have gotten for them
locally or through computerized classifieds. That bidding frenzy at the end of
the auction is teriffic.

As to buyers, however, it is another story, and my brother in SLC who has sold
a lot of stuff on e-bay, and managed to buy a few things, agrees. Those
bargains  you think you see are usually asking prices early on in auctions.
Look at the prices of things on completed auctions and it is a different
story. I've seen Leica gear going for reasonably fair prices, usually, or
maybe low by a $100 or so, but nothing spectacular considering you are buying
damn near blind.

I collect a wide range of antique/collectible cameras and the prices I've seen
stuff going for has been, generally, too high. I saw some guy trying to start
an auction for Graflex flash gun battery holders at $125, for instance, and
some being bid at near prices to that, maybe because the seller said they were
"star wars light saber" flash guns. In any event, they're the sort of thing
collectors don't bother with, although if someone out there is willing to part
with $100 for one I'll be happy to take their money.

Buying takes determination.  If it is an item for which there is interest (and
the worthwhile items attract attention) be prepared to bid high or get into a
last-minute flurry. There is even software available that will automatically
submit a winning bid for you with seconds to go -- a tactic called "sniping."

Be VERY wary f condition -- there are actually people who have described
things as "minty" or even "small dings, dents, otherwise mint." These people
are idiots. Do you wish to buy from them?

in short, if you see an item you really really want, contact the seller, ask
about it, check the seller's feedback (click that number by his name), bid a
fair price and then back off -- if it sells for more, you would have paid to
much to get it. If it is something you then decide you HAVE to have anyway,
contact a dealer and say "I want one of those."

Avoid that last minute frenzy -- unless you're bidding on my stuff, of course.
Then you are strongly encouraged to bid high and often. Given the astonishing
quality of my items -- Minty, at least -- you would be foolish to do
otherwise.

Charlie Trentelman
Ogden Utah