Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W and forever the iconoclast
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:19:26 -0300

>and white is alive and well in photojournalism. It should be noted those
>five photographers' work is still printed black and white. Which may have
>something to do with it since they think black and white when they shoot,
>even though for several years they've shot color negative.

        To be clear, are these photographers not shooting colour neg film?
It is only B&W because the paper only prints B&W.

        I would like to see their COLOUR prints and compare them to the B&W
to see if they stand up.

        When I edited for the MSF book (see sig file) I had to decide which
images would be colour and which would be B&W.  Since I only shot colour
transparency (have to protect my long term investment) is was an amazing
exercise to scan and convert a couple of hundred slides.

        It really teaches you what draws you to a scene or image and the
elements at play.  The impact of some photos remained the same, some were
better in B&W, some remained better images as colour.

        Film types, like lenses and other photographic tools are best chosen
for the job and desired effect.

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
TOUCHED BY FIRE: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm