Subject: Re: [Leica] Winter Games Photography in Newfoundland
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:34:41 -0300

At 05:40 PM 14/02/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Greg:
>
>Do you do any sports photography?  I see the Canada Winter Games are in
>Newfoundland this month.  How about Ted Grant, do you do any Sports
>Photography on the East coast?

        I'll go out on a limb, get flamed to a crisp and admit my bias...
(Sorry, Ted... I know you do a lot of this)
I detest shooting sports and feel it takes up WAY too much space in our news
publications.  I consider sports in the same breath as entertainment and
celebrity photography.

        That said, I did assign a photographer to cover it for a news photo
agency I am a part of.

>I would be interested in taking some pictures of the events if passes are
>available.  Perhaps Ted could use his connections arrange the press passes
>and we could have an East coast LUG meet.

        If Ted goes to Corner Brook for the Canada Games, I WILL drive the
700km from St. John's for the pleasure of having him buy me a beer!

        We regard to Eric's comment... he is right. But in this case, the
organizers are pretty easy going and this is not a BIG event for the
Canadian news media.  It is so far out of the way that they won't spend the
money to send a photog. The Reuters bureau chief actually to me they would
cover it if is was in Toronto or Vancouver....but not Newfoundland.
At last count there will be only 4 working pros at the event.

Pretty bad when you consider that this is the major amateur winter games in
Canada.

 If you went over to Corner Brook you would stand a good chance of getting
to shoot a few events.

        Give me a call (709-576-2297) if you are going and I will give what
ever info I can...

Greg Locke                           E-Mail: locke@straylight.ca
St. John's, Newfoundland             http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Tel: 709-576-2297