Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Tri-X and Kodak vs Ilford?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:52:05 -0600

At 05:54 AM 2/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I love to hear about the film/developer combinations that work for other
>LUGGERS.  Unfortunately, Tmax has made it very difficult for me to consider
>Kodaks products.  Perhaps I am not handling it properly.

TMax film is different than other modern black and white films. It was
specifically designed to be sensitive to development, agitation and
temperature. You have to be very precise with development or you will blow
out the highlights. I'll bet your problem with it is burning down the
highlights in the darkroom. Right?

I had that problem at first for two reasons. I had gotten used to Tri-X in
HC-110 dil. B which is very soft. Then I tried TMax 400 (before it was on
the market) with HC-100. No good. So I tried TMax developer which was also
in the testing phase, and D-76. At the recommended times, I still got very
hot highlights. Then I remembered reading Ansel Adams' books and started
adjusting development. I ended up reducing development by 30 seconds at 75
degree (which is the temperature that TMax was optimized for) to 5.5
minutes instead of 6 as Kodak recommends. In high contrast for TMax 400 I
use 4.5 minutes at EI 200. Absolutely gorgeous highlights and wide open
shadows. And invisible grain! Well, practically at 8x10 it's invisible.

Agitation is critical to no overdo. And keep all fluids at within 5 degrees
(even wash and photoflo). With that, you can et absolutely stunning images
from TMax.

As for developer, with TMax 100 and 400, you can't beat Press Maxx
developer - made by Unicolor. It gives Tri-X tonality with TMax grain. But
it's horrible with TMax P3200.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?