Subject: [Leica] Light meters
From: John Hudson <jahudson@direct.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:56:32 -0800

I was recently given an old British made Sangamo Western "Western Master V"
light meter complete with incident light cone. It was completely dead. It
had previously been stored at room temperature unused for almost 30 years.
Depressing the needle release button did not cause the needle to move off
zero. A photo repair lab told me that the light cell "was exhausted" and
that the meter should be junked.

After sitting around with its new owener for six months at room temperature
the meter has come back to life. The meter readings are virtually identical
to those shown on my Lunasix 3.

Are there any words of advice on whether this Western Master V needs to
visit another repair technician or whether it could be on its last gasp of
life before really becoming exhausted?

jh