Subject: Re: [Leica] Film, Cameras, Customs & France
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:57:05 -0500

At 09:44 AM 2/17/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>        I shall be traveling to France for a 7-week stay with my family, in
>April. The plan is to ship ahead my 4X5 field camera to an address in Paris,
>and to carry on my M6, lenses, and other 35mm equipment and unexposed film.
>        With no experience and a head full of rumors and tall tales regarding
>U.S. and French Customs, airport X-ray machines and carry-on size and weight
>limitations, I could use some heads-up advice from the LUG.
>	I had planned to register my serial-numbered equipment with U.S.
>Customs, and I have ideas about how to avoid airport x-rays, but anything that
>comes to mind from the well-traveled and well-prepared LUGers would be much
>appreciated. The best way to ship equipment, how much film is allowed, is the
>U.S. serial number registration useful for French customs, and hosts of other
>questions come to mind.
>	Thanks, in advance, from an inveterate list-lurker.
>
>-Gary S. Colby

Hi, Gary -

I have registered my equipment with customs and carried serial numbers, but
have never needed to show any of that.  I take the film out of the boxes
and canisters and put it (usually 200-300 rolls) in zip-lock bags in an
easily accessible roll-on.  I take the film out at the x-ray machine and
ask politely to have it passed around.  9 times out of 10 they will do it
with no problem.  If they refuse, I have in my roll-on lead-lined bags that
I slip the bags of film into and put through the machine.  I carry several
small Tupperware containers that will hold six rolls each to put in my
pockets when I get where I'm going to protect the film.  All of my cameras
and lenses fit in a small LowePro backpack.  Carry-on size varies according
to airline, but the smallest I've seen is 14"x22"x8".  Airports and
airlines are a hassle but it's worth it!  I'm sure you'll have a great time
and come back with unforgettable pictures.  (See you soon!)

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP

http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html