Subject: [Leica] Film, Cameras, Customs & France
From: "Sander van Hulsenbeek" <vanhulsenbeek@wxs.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:15:09 +0100

Gary,

I, from Amsterdam, would not know about French customs and shipping you 4X5
to France.

What I do know is : always carry all you film, exposed or unexposed, as
handluggage, always. What I read from recent tests, there is no problem
having them go through a scanner at customs, as used for checking
handluggage of travellers going on and off planes.

Scanners used for hold luggage are reported to be 30 (!) times more
powerful, so that's the problem.

And have you considered buying your film in France, at e.g. the FNAC? And
developping at a good professional lab in Paris? ( unless you develop
yourself) That way you by-pass all the problems of airtravel with film!

Also I don't think European customs are interested in serial numbers any
more. That was in the years 50! Remember: Leica is made in Europe!

Sander

- -----
Sander van Hulsenbeek
at work: sander.vanhulsenbeek@solvay.com