Subject: Re: [Leica] Film, Cameras, Customs & France
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:00:14 -0700

First of all, visit your US Customs office in advance and register your
equipment; you will need to have it available for inspection, after which,
you'll have a small paper certifying you as the owner. The office is kind of
tucked in an odd corner at Honolulu Int'l, and who-knows-where at San
Francisco Int'l.

It's been awhile since I've been in France, but this past summer, my film
got sent through around 12 xray machines in Denver, San Francisco, Honolulu,
Tokyo, Beijing, Urumqi, Dunhuang, Turpan, Xian and Hong Kong! Here's what I
did to improve the odds:

1. Packed film in my carry-on baggage only, with most in film shield bags.
2. Chose ISO 400 speed film (which I was exposing at 100)
3. In Japan, at least, they'll hand-inspect 400 and above, so I took full
advantage

I typically sent the Leica through the xray machine, loaded with film.
Wasn't concerned about the hardware, and was only sending any one roll
through once sans lead shielding. No way I'm going to unpack my bag in the
security line if I don't have to.

Carry on size: Haven't yet encountered anyone strictly enforcing it, but
believe United started to crack down in Denver Int'l and probably elsewhere.
Most of what I vitally want is kept in the camera bag (camera!, film!
toothbrush!!), and this never leaves my sight. The rest can be checked in,
and if it gets misrouted, I can survive.

Jeff