Subject: [Leica] Re: Diltilled water
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:58:54 -0800

Huh???

This is a phenomenon that I'm sure science would like explained.

I've used deionized, distilled, and every other type of water in my 53
years of darkroom work. And I can assure you that distilled, deionized, or
any other kind of "normal" water, (except "hot" water,) will "not" soften
or swell film emulsion. For E3, E4, and E6, I "always" mixed my chemicals
with distilled water and used a final rinse of distilled water. Likewise
with B&W. The only real water problem, is that some tap water contains
chloramines, mineral compounds, and other molecular chemistry that can
effect the pH of your developer. By using distilled water, or even
deionized water, your chemistry will perform closer to normal.

Distilled water is just water without the mineral compounds and pollutant
junk in it. It's clean water.

Use it.

Jim