Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Diltilled water
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:19:39 -0400

Jim:

I will have to side with Ken on this one.  I remember in High School
Biology class we did an experiment on Osmosis in cells.  With distilled
water the cells would blow up and some explode.  I think it had to do with
the difference between inside the cell and outside.  I don't know wheter it
is trying to equalize the salinity or what, but a more knowlegeable person
than me can explain this.  The distilled water is so pure, it rushes in
through the membranes of the cell.  I think the emulsion is gelatin and
made of cells.  This may be the argument that Ken was using.

Regards,

Robert