Subject: [Leica] One-hour labs
From: "Gib Robinson" <robinson@sfsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:03:45 -0800

[Mark Rabiner wrote]:

> You put your masterpiece of German Artful Engeneering multi thousand
> dollar but otherwise priceless lens and a Camera of the same quality and
> cost and shoot a once in a lifetime event and what do you end up with:
Snapshots.
> It's a guilty pleasure that I just wouldn't talk up. I'm clobbering you
> on this but I really do feel strongly about it.

Mark,

There are circumstances where a one-hour lab is ideal for me and I'm
inclined to "talk up" the use of one-hour labs for certain purposes. I use
two local one-hour labs primarily to process and print T400CN (C-41 for B&W
prints). It's quick and I get good 4x6 machine-made "proof prints" at a
fraction of the cost I'd be charged at a regular lab. Exposed/developed on
the thin side, T400CN actually gives me quite good results and the two
one-hour labs I frequent can handle it competently. If I want fiber paper
enlargements, they will send it out to one of the better custom B&W labs.
They get the same results from that lab that I would get and I get the same
retail price working through them as I would walking directly into the
custom lab.

Since I don't currently have a darkroom, commercial labs are a necessary
part of my photo life. I miss printing, esp. B&W, but family life has its
limitations. I simply don't have the space or time I once had. Of course, if
I want the best results I shoot traditional B&W film (usually Ilford) and
take it to my favorite custom lab. They do an excellent job and charge for
it. They use Xtol (or T-Max) and will customize development times. They
routinely produce high grade 8x10 fiber prints for $25 each. Since I work
with them regularly, I have almost as much control over the process as I
would have working on my own but at that price I print very selectively and
don't have any 4x6 "proof prints" for future reference.

Aside from the convenience of processing T400CN, I use a one-hour lab at
times for 5x7 or 8x10 color reprints. Again, they don't do as well as a
custom lab, but their work is competent. I have not had them scratch
negatives and they will print to my specifications.  I generally deal
directly with the managers who do the printing themselves or assign a
technically competent employee because they know the results matter to me.

So, I don't share your antipathy to one-hour labs. I used to; but I
necessity has lead me down another path.

- --Gib