Subject: [Leica] RE: Tri-X and Kodak vs Ilford?
From: Robert Hudyma <rhudyma@netcom.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 03:37:29 -0500

>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:57:15 -0800
>Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net> wrote:
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:  Re:  RE:  Tri-X and Kodak vs Ilford?
>
>Eric Welch wrote:
>>
>> At 05:12 PM 2/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>> >In any event, if this is a problem or concern, you should perhaps
switch to
>> >a more powerful rapid-type fixer.
>>
>> As I understand it, that is really the only way to fix TMax films. The
>> non-rapid fixer does take a long time. But I've only used rapid-fixer
>> because that's what Kodak recommends, and I don't like mixing powders if at
>> all possible.
>>
>Getting the pink out of TMax is no picnic. In my experience, contrary to
>yours if you didn't fix it out it wouldn't wash out and it did show up
>in the printing. You had to fix it in rapid fix no hardener till the
>cows come home.
>Mark Rabiner

My T-Max always comes out perfectly without any pinks.

Its all in the technique.   First, I use the Kodak T-Max developer and
follow the directions on the container.  I run my film through a Jobo
rotary processor (50 rpm) at 75F and the solutions are discarded after a
single use (one-shot processing).

There are 2 secrets to getting rid of the pink: fresh fixer (I'm using
Ilfofix but the Kodak one works equally well) and a washing aid. I use
Kodak Hypo clearing agent and follow the directions on the package. No more
pinks.

T-Max is a wonderful but totally unforgiving film and *needs* to be exposed
and developed with precision or you will not be pleased with the results.
If you are at all sloppy you will probably be much happier with a classic
and more forgiving Tri-X and D76 combo instead.

Robert Hudyma, Semi-Tech Corporation, 2800 14th Avenue, Suite 511,
Markham Ontario, Canada  L3R 0E4.  Fax: (905) 475-3652
Email: rhudyma@netcom.ca

The distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, even
if a stubborn one. - Albert Einstein