Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hassleblad Xpan
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:25:07 EST

In a message dated 2/19/99 6:47:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jimbrick@photoaccess.com writes:
<< Subj:	 [Leica] Re: Hassleblad Xpan
 Date:	2/19/99 6:47:50 PM Pacific Standard Time
 From:	jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
 Sender:	owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 Reply-to:	<A HREF="mailto:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us">leica-
users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us</A>
 To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

 I think Tom Abrahamsson has one.
 Jim

 At 07:19 PM 2/19/99 -0700, you wrote:
 Some time ago there were a few posts re the Xpan. I wasn't interested then,
but am now getting interested. Does anyone have experience with theXpan, or
othre helpbul information.
 I'm in a workshop this summer that involves digital, wide angle printing
color printing. Therefore, a wide angle format might by helpful.
 Thanks,
 Joe Stephenson</blockquote>

Joe, I have been using the Fuji TX-1 since October last year. The TX-1 is the
Fuji version of the Xpan, only difference is the color (Xpan is black, TX-1 is
titanium colored). Admittedly I haven't had time to shoot as much as I have
wanted with it (around 60-65 rolls so far). I have found it very easy to use,
the automatic exposure system is remarkably exact, I shoot with it in both
manual mode and in "Auto" mode, and, if anything, the "Auto" mode is better.
There has been no problems with it in any way. The battery consumption seems
negligible (the battery indicator has not shown any drain on the power display
yet). The 45/4 standard lens shows slight vignetting and soft(ish) corners in
the panorama mode when used wide open, but from 5,6 it is sharp across. As
with any wide-angle lens, it is sensitive to the camera being tilted, the Xpan
comes with a spirit level for the accessory shoe and that is not a bad idea.
The 90mm lens is good, very sharp even in panorama mode. The lenses are
typically Japanese in their contrast mode - smoother contrast across the
board, not the Leica M-lens type of high contrast. It is an interesting
camera, I find that I leave it in panorama mode 99% of the time, for straight
24x 36 mm shooting the M's are better, but in a pinch the Xpan could work.
 There is a slight "lag" in the system, between the time you depress the
shutter release and the shutter is activated, nothing worrisome, no more than
a regular SLR, but having shot M's for 40 years I notice the lag.
 I find that the Xpan/Tx-1 complements the M camera very well, it is not a
substitute, the lenses are too slow for that, but there are times when you
want that wide view.
 A couple of days ago I processed some film that had been sitting around since
early January, among them where some Presto 100 Neopan, black/white shot on a
bright sunny day (one of the very few this winter!) on a beach in Oregon. I
shoot the worst kind of light you could, early afternoon, white sand, black
rocks and breaking waves. Sun in the lens most of the time. There were 2-3
negs that showed a slight hint of flare, but the balance (5 rolls with 21
panorama shots in each roll) was perfect. Details are visible in the shaded
parts of rocks and the sand had texture in it!! Even would have been
impressive with a Leica lens!
 We are off to Europe on March 1st for a month and the TX-1 is coming along as
a wide camera, Wide views of Venice and other, hopefully, sunny places in
Italy, close ups of wine-bottles and pasta plates and other more interesting
views in the wide format. Just in case the TX-1 isn't wide enough, I just got
my Heliar 15/4,5 today and what can't be covered by the TX-1, should be
covered by the 110 degrees of the Heliar.
 If I were you I would try to find a Xpan demo and try to shoot a roll with
it. My next step is to design and make a plate for the bottom that shifts the
tripod bushing to the center as well as allowing me to have the strap attached
at one end only (somewhat like the M5). The body is quite wide and gets a bit
uncomfortable when you carry it with the strap attached to the existing strap
lugs.
 I recommend the Xpan, but I would never use it exclusively - I am too
attached to my M's to be without them.
All the best,
Tom A