Subject: Re: [Leica] Ebay beauties...black M3, MD-post + M6J +...
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:19:27 EST

In a message dated 2/20/99 7:35:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jbauman@earthlink.net writes:

<< Subj:	 Re: [Leica] Ebay beauties...black M3, MD-post + M6J +...
 Date:	2/20/99 7:35:34 AM Pacific Standard Time
 From:	jbauman@earthlink.net (Jim Bauman)
 Sender:	owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 Reply-to:	<A HREF="mailto:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us">leica-
users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us</A>
 To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 CC:	TTAbrahams@aol.com

 Tom A writes:

 >The strange M2 is a K-15S

 Tom, are you sure about that?

 According to Lager, "Leica illustrated history, vol. I, p. 200-201". These
 M2's occur between serial-number 1163150 and 1163770. The EBAY version
 is 1000 off the sequence!  Do you have a book that gives a different range?

 Jim Bauman

Jim,
 The K 15S was made in a reasonable large quantity, the number sequence given
by Jim Lager is the major production. There are M2S/K15'th before and after
that sequence. I have had a couple of these, one was within the sequence that
Jim gives, the other one was very close to the Ebay version, this one came
with correct lenses and the infamous US Military instruction sheet (which
included the procedure on how to destroy the camera). It was also painted
black over chrome. I restored that one and gave it to a friend of mine, who
now has it with a 90/1 attached.
 I don't know if Leica will still convert M2's to M4 loading. They used to do
it in the late 60's and 70's, but I have not tried to have one done for years,
at least not by Leica/Solms. They also did nice conversions of chrome cameras
to black paint - and this has really screwed up the collectors. "Is it real or
is it a converted camera, or is it a home-made paint job".
 Leicas record keeping leaves a lot to be desired. The cameras are mechanical
marvels, but the precision did not reflect in the paperwork. Leica was
blissfully unaware that they were making collectibles and that future
generations would drool over serial numbers. Often you have to go through the
shipping documents to find out what was made, not the production lists.
 I have a 50DR Summicron that comes from a K 15S, its serial number indicate
that it is made 2 years after they stopped production, it is in the 2 437 xxx
range, the highest number recorded is otherwise 239x xxx. Again, the various
authors of Leica books disagree on the origin of this lens, special order,
mis-numbered or what?
Tom A