Subject: RE: [Leica] Off Topic, The Titanic
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:18:53 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> The people in the lower decks were locked down until it was convenient
> to let them out, many perished because of it. Other films on the Titanic
> dealt with this issue, this film barely touched on it. Hate to sound
> like a pinko but the Titanic story was a story about Class.

After the Titanic sank, the White Star Line chartered a ship to go to the
site and collect the bodies left on the surface. The bodies of 1st class
passengers were taken on board, put in coffins and returned to shore,
those of all other passengers were put in a large weighted bag, and thrown
back.

You may regard 'pinko' as a pejorative term, but I thank the memories of
the pinkos of the last 80 or so years who've helped dismantle the Britain
of those times.

David Morton

I agree with you both, except that I feel that while the movie prettied up
the class issue, showing the happy campers in the hold, it certainly showed
that "it was about class..."