Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic, The Titanic
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:17:52 -0800

David Morton wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
snip
> You may regard 'pinko' as a pejorative term, but I thank the memories of
> the pinkos of the last 80 or so years who've helped dismantle the Britain
> of those times.
>
> David Morton
I used the term "pinko" to humorously recall the right wing vernacular
of days long gone by. I was a member of its opposition. If that really
does insult you I really should apologize but I can't tell how dense I'm
being. Also a simple reference to the antihalition backing in TMax which
is also in decision and more to the general point. Don't you love to
explain your jokes?

By the way we saw the third and fourth series of "House of cards" series
from the BBC last night which although a fairy tale makes many
references to the dismantling in question. Tonight the last fifth and
sixth; starring Ian Richardson. You've probably seen it a million times.
It did not occur to be that the British use of this term might have a
different spin then our own beloved John Birch Society and WF
Buckleyites of old.

My knowledge of the Britsh vernacular and politics has been expanding of
late.
My favorite thing about the British is the Humor which is even sillier
and more tasteless then mine. But I'm learning.
Mark Rabiner Portland Oregon