Subject: Re: [Leica] <no subject>
From: Amilcar de Oliveira <amilcar@domain.com.br>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:02:22 -0300

    The romantic scenes on the prow are impossible in a real ship. The prow is
off limits because sometimes a high enough wave gets it underwater. When the
prow is shown from above, you may see a V-shaped wall that is intended to
deflect the water away from the rest of the deck. Also, on the route the Titanic
was, the air is cold. Add to that the windspeed caused by the ship's advance and
you have a very unconfortable chill factor.
     I had a real laugh with the engine room scenes: everybody talks normally. A
real ship's engine room is *very* noisy and you have to yell at the top of your
lungs in order to be heard. My father was a chief engineer in the Brazillian
merchant marine and I recall he couldn't stop speaking very loud for half an
hour after coming off shift. His ears were numbed by the noise so he couldn't
control how loudly he spoke.
     The engine room is also extremely hot, so you don't wear a jacket while
you're in, as the film's chief engineer does.

Regards,
Amilcar