Subject: Re: [Leica] T400-CN v. "true" B&W
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:42:56 +0100

Francesco,

On one level yes, T400CN is a lazy person's B&W film. It is admittedly
convenient to just drop it off and get developed negatives plus 4x6
proofs. It is also considerably more expensive that souping it yourself.

I have shot quite a bit of both T400CN and Ilford's XP2. Compared to
standard B&W films, the chromogenic films have much less grain but also
lack the character of a real B&W film. It is hard to describe, you have
to try it for yourself. I still use XP2 Super on occasion, but find
myself going back to the traditional Delta 400 when I need a film in
this speed range.

Nathan

Francesco wrote:

> I know that T400-CN is not standard BW since it uses
> color negative chemistry.  But, aside from that fact, what
> are the differences in the negatives that one would get
> from a roll of T400-CN as opposed to TMAX 400?
> Would they look the same, or is there an advantage to
> using one or the other?  Is T400-CN just a lazy man's
> BW film, for those who don't want to mess with the darkroom?
> Does it provide EQUAL results, or are TMAX negatives
> superior in contrast or sharpness?  Will both negatives
> enlarge to 16x20 equally well?
>
> Francesco

- --
Nathan Wajsman