Subject: [Leica] Re: Tina's new web page; too much technology
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:40:54 -0500

At 04:32 AM 2/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
  Sure enough, it seems
>that whoever did Tina's web page with her was so technology-mad that there's
>a Java applet serving a purpose which would be far better served by simple
>HTML hyperlinks: little buttons labelled "Portfolios", "Statement", etcetera
>appeared.

Actually, Jeff, I'm already rewriting it that way.  It should be back up
without Java by tomorrow.  I put those Java applets in using MS FrontPage,
not realizing that all computers can't handle it.   I've got a cable modem
and everything is super fast so it's hard to judge how long the loading
takes on other computers.  I use a ProJPEG program to prepare the images
that tells me how many seconds it takes depending on how fast your
connection is.  I tried to keep it below 10 seconds at 28.8.  If somebody
would let me know how close it is, I would appreciate it.  I reduced the
sizes of most of the photos so they will fit on a small screen, too.  I
hated to do that because I like them large, but I don't want people to have
to scroll to see them either.

>The photos are, as always, worth seeing.  It was good to see B&W work without
>that distracting sepia-like coloration one of your other sites had.  I had
>earlier performed the exercise of downloading one of those images and
>stripping that color back out and re-viewing: a definite improvement.

My gallery prints are all sepia-toned.  I like the warm look for people
pictures and it is more archival.

>...and so on.  Thanks for showing us these pictures, and thanks for supplying
>us with actual examples to be fodder for the eternal B&W vs color thread.

Thank you for your opinions, Jeff.  The color vs B&W is something I
struggle with all of the time.  One of these days I'm going to retire and
only photograph what I love - Black and White!

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP

http://www.charweb.org/arts/open/tinamanley