Subject: [Leica] 400mm lens diatribe
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:50:26 -0600

Dear Luggers,

I think some of you (and you know who you are) really distorted the whole
thread of the comparision reports of the various 400mm f2.8 lenses.

All I was seeking to achieve was knowledge if any of the popular journals
had done a test report that I could get my hands on to peruse.  I am
currently negotiating on my company's behalf for a Canon 400mm f2.8 L II
lens for our photo department.  Even though we would have no reason to
switch to Leica R stuff, as we have a substantial financial investment in
Canon, and as a Lugger, I am interested in seeing how Leica's latest optical
magic stacks up with the other stuff out there.  I know that from past test
reports, one must take the reports with a grain of salt.  I have seen test
reports on lenses that have incorporated Leica lenses vs the others and have
found at times Leica in the middle to uppper end of the pack.  But lens
tests do not show the entire picture, as with any kind of comparison report.
I think one has to consider the whole sum of parts that make up a system.
I know from long time experience that Leica happens to be a very good
system.  I am near and dear to the M part of the system.  I myself have a
35mm f2 summicron from the 1960s that I adore, just by what it does on film.
It is a sharp lens and has few faults.

I don't know about you, but I am always looking for that next lens or camera
to round out my personal system.  Looking at test reports is a painless way
to check out a lens before shelling out large sums of money. It allows me to
see the range of quality that is out there. It allows me to pick even the
right lens within a company's offerings.  Often Leica is at the absolute top
of the heap (the 100mm f2.8 APO is a classic example).  I round out the
knowledge from test reports with reports from lists such as the lug and from
conversations with fellow professional photographers.  With knowledge comes
power and seldom have I have been disapointed in anything that I have
purchased using the methods I have used for the past 18 years as a
professional photographer.

You never know, I myself might be able to buy the R series 400mm f2.8 some
day. (along with the 180 f2 and the 100 f2.0 APO).

gck