Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Leica lenses & Group Professionals Responsibility?
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 21:17:06 -0600

Sunday, February 21, 1999, Rbedw51767 wrote:
> Now,  professional sports and events photography just entered in the
> same  arena  as  mountain  climbing. I hope you guys make be-jillion
> bucks for all you go through.

If  you  find  someone  paying  a  be-jillion  bucks  for this kind of
photography  PLEASE let me know.....I have a lot of catching up to do.
:)  And it really is not that bad...a lot of fun. And when I was doing
it  2-3 times a week my shoulder did not get nearly as sore as it does
now that I do it only 5-6 times a year...just out of shape now.

> Harrison, one more question.  At the end of the day, month, week, year or
> whatever, what provides your ultimate satisfaction?  Is it the picture(s)
> being published with recognition, money, job postition, increase in client
> base?    Is it the one outstanding shot that is better and different than your
> colleagues?

Lets  see.....The  thrill  of  looking at the film and seeing a killer
image...yes  feels  great....immediately  lost if it never sees print.
The  competition  with  others...yes  to  an  extent,  but  even  more
important and a MUCH greater part of the fun is the camaraderie of the
photographers.

As a friend once described news/sports photography:

"Its  just  a game. Hey we paid to take pictures...some days I get the
best  shot and win, tomorrow you will take the best shot and win...but
we are not working for a living...we are being paid to play."

Every   day   I  thank God that I am still in the game and have gotten
to have as many good "innings" as I have had in my career so far.

All  in  all  what keeps me going is that it is just plain FUN

Please  note  that nowhere did I mention money as a primary reward...I
have  never  placed  that as the primary emphasis for my work....Yes I
make  sure  I make enough to live on, however I put more importance on
keeping my quality of work as high as I possibly can. I feel that if I
do  that the money will come. If I was only interested in money I sure
as  heck  would not have become a photographer. (no smiley here...said
with out jest)

Best regards,
 Harrison                          mailto:mcclary@iname.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto