Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lenses & Group Professionals Responsibility?
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:03:09 EST

Carl:

Thanks for relieving my mind.  For your back I am very happy to hear that you
no longer do sports photography.

I took a few minutes to visit your website  You have a wonderful eye for
capturing the everyday life of people.  The ability to see these images and
record them is a gift which you obviously have.  I particularly enjoyed your
Paris photos ( Musee D'Orsay, Montmarte and Boulevard St. Gemaine).  Your work
proves that you don't need a Noctilux and 3200 ISO films to capture a
photograph in low light.

Carl,  I guess each person has a photographic niche.   As much as I like all
areas of photography(except sports) I think my work blossoms with children.
I cannot explain why but they always feel so at ease with me and I can always
come back with a very large percentage of shots that I am very pleased to
enlarge, show, hang and give away.   Each week I tutor elementary kids for
about 12 hours.   My daughter and I have a lunch buddy that we are involved
with.  During lunch I look around the room and I see so many wonderful
expressions and activities.  I have asked the principal if she would allow me
to photograph the children and she has given her blessing.  My system of
choice, because of auto-focus, is my Nikon F5.   I am concerned that it will
attract too much attention.    I cannot see well enough to use the M6 with the
lense that is needed to record what I want to record.  I have used a Mavica
FD91 which has a 14:1 zoom and the results were quite good.  Obviously this is
not the medium that I want to use.

I was shocked to see photographs taken in the Hummelstown/Harrisburg area of
Pennsylvania.  We actually lived in Hummelstown from 1987 to 1993.

Have a good week Carl.

Bob Bedwell

<< Bob,

 Just for the record and so that there are no misconstruals, I do
 commercial and advertising work primarily. I also do some public
 relations work as well as editorial. In a past life as a news
 photographer we would shoot sports. I don't miss it. :)
 --
 Carl Socolow >>