Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W film speed
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:07:17 -0600

At 12:00 AM 2/22/99 -0800, you wrote:
>This whole thing about which film speed to set your Delta on that day
>goes right over my head. In my reading and direct experience each
>Film/developer combination has a speed which gives you adequate shadow
>detail and that's your film speed.

If all people thought that this was the only way to expose/develop film,
then there would be a lot fewer of the great photos of history than there
are. Sometimes, especially in the past when 400 ISO film was the fastest
there was, we have to compromise shadow detail and smooth contrast a bit to
get the more important subject with an adequate shutter speed and aperture.

That's not to say that your approach is wrong. It works for you. But
understanding why others might do it a different way might help you some
day when faced with the same choice.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"People are inexterminable - like flies & bed-bugs. There will always be
some that survive in cracks and crevices - that's us." -
     Robert Frost