Subject: Re: [Leica] digital darkroom
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:14:13 -0600

At 05:19 PM 2/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>i use the ls2000 scanner and the epson photo stylus ex printer.
>
>i have to imagine printing an 8x10 scanned at 2700 and printed
>at 1440 is overkill-- not to mention the 150+ meg file...

You would be right. We find on our dye-sub printer, which is pretty much
the equal of all but the best custom prints in technical quality (grain,
tonal modulation and sharpness but Photoshop makes it better in many ways
than even the best custom labs), that making the picture 10 inches (60
picas) on the long end at 200 dpi is good enough. And 300 dpi is overkill.
That means, depending on the crop, that the file size is about 4-9 megs.
Anything bigger than that is just wasting processor time printing it.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

D)inner not ready:  (A)bort (R)etry (P)izza.