Subject: [Leica] Leica Test Day
From: R.P.A.C.Savenije@minvenw.nl
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 99 12:12:26 +0100

A short impression of the Leica day I did go to last Saturday.

It was a long drive but every kilometer worth! I did expect a test
room or setup in which you could touch and play with different
configurations. But I was able to take all the gear outside and
only had to return it at the end of the day!!

Me and my girlfriend both had asked for two different lenses to test.
The APO macro 100mm and 2.8 280 Apo Modul for me
and the 2.0 180 and fisheye for my girlfriend.
The 280 was not functioning quite well so they gave me a 400 2.8 instead.
What a gun this is!

We did take all the stuff to Wetzlar and Braunfels which are nice tipical
middle or south german towns. I had never so much attention taking pictures.!
Losts of people were very curious and asked many questions. It made me feel
a little bit embarrassed.
My girlfriend carrying the 400 and a foto bag with the fisheye,180 2.0 and
macro
and I carrying a tripod which must have been at least 10 kg  (also given by
Leica
because my tripod was not strong enough)
and the camera with my own lenses and my own monopod.

This made me aware of the fact that when taking photo's with the 400 you do
not
only have to carry the lens but a tripod as well which is at least the same
weight!!
When travelling I would prefer the 280 instead. I also experienced the
difference
of locking the mirror before taking the picture. You can see trembeling the
whole
scenery after taking a picture!( with self timer of course)

After making lots of pictures with all my gear I returned to Solms. I told
them my
experiance with the lenses. I also told them that the weight of the 400 is to
much for
travelling for me which I do a lot. Immediately two crew members came to me
and let
me try all the different possibilities with the modul system. They changed al
the focus moduls,
focussing glass and all the heads to explain me everything. Also he changed
all kind
of tripods and monopods to show me the differences. One them dissapeared and
returned with lots of pictures he took in Tanzania,Serengetie (?) Park (he
leads trips this place
for Leica he explained me).

I am telling this just to let you know that service still exists at Leica.
They even gave me new
batteries because mine suddenly were empty! I am realy looking forward to my
pictures. And I
will never forget this experiance, walking around with those extremely
expensive gear in
the middle of Germany.

p.s. I even have been able to try out the new Motor Winder.

Greetings from an enthousiastic amateur.

Richard.