Subject: RE: [Leica] Charities And Donations, Eric & Art
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:02:08 -0500

> A valid point. More valid than most responders seem to realize- Does the
> average surgeon give away his services? The average accountant? Baseball
> player? Graphic designer? Etc..No..Why should a photographer be expected
> to?
> The expectation is reflective of the view of photographers as dumb button
> pushers, and we know how valid that is...

	Actually, a great many doctors give away their services for free,
spending at least a small part of their time doing work gratis for NGOs or
other charitable organizations (Medcines Sans Frontiers for one).  So, too,
do many lawyers do pro bono work. I do not find it unreasonable to donate my
skills to a variety of good works for free, but as has been noted, we should
choose the recipients of our generosity and our generosity should neither be
expected nor resented in its absence.

		Buzz