Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: kabob@tiac.net (Bob Keene/Karen Shehade)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:35:31 -0500

I'm kind of responsible for starting this whole thing, and believe me, when
I declared that I was a "professional"; it has meaning FOR ME.
I earn about 80% of my income from photography; mainly doing weddings.
BTW the wedding photography game, while looked down upon by some photogs,
is one of the most difficult "assignments" you can take on. It combines the
absolutes of Photojournalism, Portraiture and Fine Art photography styles.
My declaration of being "A Professional" was a reminder that in these
events I am one of the MOST important people there! So I shouldn't settle
for less money than, say, the caterer or the band. They certainly
contribute to the party- in fact, they can make or break it. BUT, it is
through the efforts (sometimes the superhuman efforts) of the photographer
that allow the couple to re-live their wedding day!
As far as "Definition of a Professional?" that wasn't anything I need an
answer to. I make my living shooting people on their most joyous/stressful
day. I do it in such a manner that they enjoy my company, and I share their
joy.
It's about handling yourself well when everything screws up, and having a
back up plan for when it does. Or making do with half your equipment
jammed.
It's knowing how to get the shot.
Everytime.
No excuses.
You're a Professional when you can deliver the goods.
And the whole reason for me starting this thing was to just say-

"I deserve to be paid for what I do. Because I do it well."

To conclude, I am a member of the WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers
Int'l.), the PPA (Professional Photgraphers of America)- PPA has degree and
certification programs so you can have some cool letters after your name-
and the local chapter of the PPA, the PPANE (Profess. Photogs of New
England). Joining these organizations didn't MAKE me a "professional", it's
because I'm a "professional" that I joined thes organizations.....

Enough!!!!

Bob Keene