Subject: Re: [Leica] Bounce Flash
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:09:25 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I was thinking of direct flash as non bounce flash as we had just been
> speaking of. For me bounce flash is bouncing off the walls. Softboxes
> and umbrellas are light modifiers which some might not think of as not
> non direct but just direct and softened. (Eric Von Strohiem's down
> lighting of Garbo). You are thinking of "On Camera Flash".  Plenty of
> people would equate "on camera" with "direct" but that's not an hard
> edged deal it seems to me.
> Penn was a bad example for me to use and Smith was a bouncer for sure.
> Arbus used a Norman flash with her Rolleiflex and there is no law say
> you have to like her stuff but to me it is pretty darn persuasive stuff.
> The little guy with the hand grenades? Indelible.
> I have occasionally been in the frame of mind flash wise don't panic
> "When in doubt, blast' em". Not a particularly Leicalike thing to say or think.
> My new 135 apo has limited indoor low light capability. My Metz 32 Z-2
> flash has resurfaced from the inner depths. It makes for a stealth
> camera effect with the new lens. "Leave 'em with that afterimage" or
> "Blind' em then run." I miss weddings sometimes. Briefly.
> Mark Rabiner

M6 + 21-35mm lens (your choice) + Vivitar 283 + Sto-Fen Bounce diffuser
direct or slightly angled: Prefocus at 3-5 feet at f8.0 Blam, thank you
very much. Variation on above theme: Use remote sensor cord for flash
and move flash for directional lighting. Additional variation: Adjust
shutter speed  and/or auto output so flash is 1 stop less than ambient.
Final variation: wrist strap on flash with remote sensor cord so flash
is always close at hand for ease of access and aiming.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/