Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Definition of a Professional
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:15:34 -0800

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> You know Eric, being nice is not something that is only related to
> professional photographers.   I think that you would be nice if you worked at
> Burger King and please don't read into this more than there is.
>
> <<
>  The difference is they are "nasty as they wanna be." While we pro
>  photographers have to be nice, or we don't work. :-) The price of
>  subjectivity, I guess.
>   >>

When I think of this Nice, not nice, Badboy thing/thread I think of
Blowup syndrome (to coin another one) If you're a guy pushing fifty it
would be hard to escape the influence of that character in that movie. A
nasty guy with a bottle of wine on the table and so on…
Sold a lot of custom black painted Nikons with custom drives and short
tele lenes...

I've seen more than one photographer who had this guy in the back of his
mind as he becomes shall we say "not nice." They think the Badboy image
is part of the job discription.
Before that our image was of a guy who breathed mercury vapors all day.
Nosforatu as portrayed by Klaus Kinsky. We looked like we just crawled
out from under a rock or certainly from out of the basement darkroom.
I think that looked stayed with us long after Duguaratypes went out.
Tongs helped.
Mark :-) Rabiner