Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:56:01 -0600

At 09:26 PM 2/25/99 +0100, you wrote:
>On the other hand, people like Walker
>Evans, Diane Arbus, Eugene Smith, Edward Weston, Garry Winogrand, and Robert
>Frank had a very hard time either (at various times in their professional
>lives) making ends meet while staying true to their ideals and/or
>subordinating themselves to idiots when they absolutely had to.

Yep. Beethoven tossed off "Moonlight Sonata" as a pot boiler. Not some
great impetus to produce "art." Someone one day said "Hey, that sounds like
moonlight on water," and the name stuck.

So I'm told. :-)

We don't think of him as a hack or prostitute. We all have to eat.
Photography is a quite resilient craft as well as art. We can do both.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

What is a  free  gift ? Aren't all gifts free?